Aptitude for engineering can be developed with an innate curiosity to know what make things work. The seeds of this aptitude must be sown at early standards of schooling so that an analytical thinking may be developed to take care of complex derivations and theoretical explanations.
Importance should be given to Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics during Sub Senior Secondary and Higher Senior Secondary years. Nowadays much importance is given to parallel coaching over school academics to crack engineering entrance examinations. Parents and coaching institutes implore students to take coaching early on during 11th std rather than dropping a year for preparation for these entrance level examinations. To crack Entrance Examination is one thing and to be eligible to apply for the colleges and universities is another. Hence equal importance should be given to board examination as most of the universities and colleges set an Intermediate cut off marks for students to be able to take admissions. Having a sport or extra co-curricular certificate may also help you to jump the queue.
1) JEE Main : Joint Entrance Examination(JEE) Main, is the first stage of the two tier examination from 2013, for the engineering undergraduate admissions to varous colleges in India. (NIT- 30; IIT- 12; Central Gov./State Gov. Funded Institutions- 16)
2) JEE Advanced : The JEE Advanced is the second stage of the Joint Entrance Examination(JEE) Main, the common entrance examination for engineering admissions to 16 IITs and ISM, Dhanbad.
3) BITSAT : The Birla Institute of Technology and Science(BITS) Admission Test is for admissions to the engineering degree courses at the BITS campuses in Pilani, Goa and Hyderabad.
4) VITEEE : The VIT Engineering Entrance Examination is conducted by the Vellore Institute of Technology for providing admissions to the engineering degree courses at its campuses – VIT Vellore and Chennai.
5) SRMEEE : The SRM University Engineering Entrance Examination is conducted for admissions to the undergraduate engineering courses across the campuses of the SRM University.
Ask your teachers and coaches to help you with the ocean of information and study material around you. Many Coaching Institutes provide their own study module and test series. Although it’s a much needed help but it’s never enough. Prestigious authors such as H C Verma ,K L Chugh are some of the authors that are advised by teachers that help building the concepts. Internet and e books can be instant help but avoid prolonged exposure as they tend to break concentration and strain eyes.
Peers often advice students to make a time table to study various subjects and get aligned with the school as well as coaching institutes. As organization skill is a part of human behaviour, the one who sticks to a plan goes far ahead than the ones that don’t.
It’s essential to test your knowledge and test speed time to time. It tells you exactly where you stand as a competitor. Online test series are much prevalent these days that gives students a mock test against clock and compares their performances other students. You can take previous year’s question papers and try to solve those questions.
Time examination during examination is another devil that plays spoil sport .You may be knowing all the answers but it doesn’t take much far at the end of the hour. Pull your socks, use the techniques that are taught in coaching classes and are popular over Internet to save time .Vedic Arithmetic can be the difference between an all knowledgeable nerd scribing page long calculations and still getting much lower than a time savvy average candidate, who knows the jack of this trade.
Stick to Syllabus
Students tend to study everything even in the entrance examinations going overboard with the syllabus. Paste the syllabus of examination on study the back of your head. Check it before you start and after you end for regular follow ups.
Eat, Sleep, Conquer, Repeat
Avoid junk food as it slows down human metabolism and pushes him to go slower on his senses. Fresh fruits and home cooked food is high on nutrients that help you to exert yourself for burning the midnight oil.
Set short goals on day to day basis and work hard to achieve them no matter what. Take care of yourself and nothing should come in between a good night rest. Rise up early in the morning and repeat with unrelenting zeal. Every day is a fresh start make the most of it.
If you find the question paper is not up to your expectations, do not just give away. Put all your acumen and energy to get the best out of. Don’t panic keep your senses calm and tell yourself all is well.