1. Founder and Chairman of the Reliance Foundation Nita Ambani was on August 4, 2016 formally elected as an individual member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) at its 129th session in Rio de Janerio, Brazil. She is the first Indian Women to be elected as the member of the IOC.
2. Assam became the first state in India to ratify the crucial GST Bill, as the state assembly on August 12, 2016 unanimously passed the Goods and Services Tax Bill. Assam’s Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma introduce the Constitution (One Hundred and Twenty second Amendment) Bill, 2014 in the assembly. The GST Bill is an constitution amendment bill and needs to be ratified by at least 15 states lagislatures before the President can notify the GST Council.
3. Eminent Economist and RBI deputy governor, Urjit Patel was on August 20, 2016 appointed as the new Governor of the Reserve Bank of India. He will have a three year term as RBI Governor, starting on September 4, 2016 after the end of the term of Raghuram Rajan as RBI Chief. He joined RBI as a deputy governor in January 2013.
4. The Union Sports Ministey declared four athletes-ace shuttler PV Sindhu, wrestler Sakshi Malik, shooter Jitu Rai and gymnast Dipa Karmakar as the winner of the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award for 2016 on August 22, 2016. PV Sindhu became the first Indian female athlete to win a silver medal at Olympics after success in the Rio Olympics. Sakshi Malik claimed a bronze in Rio in wrestling. Dipa became the first Indian female gymnast to qualify for Olympics and missed the medal at the Rio Olympics by just 0.15 points. Jitu won several medal in shooting for India including gold medal in the last Asia and commonwealth.
5. Former Indian cricketer Virendra Sehwag was awarded the honorary life membership of the Marylebone Cricket Club on August 16, 2016, acknowledging his immense contribution to cricket. Sehwag known for his explosive and ruthless batting played 104 Tests, 251 ODIs and 19 T-20 matches at international level, amassing a total of 16,892 runs across format at an impressive average of 40-60. He is the only Indian to score two triple centuries in Tests. He is the 23rd Indian cricketer to be inducted in the MCC as the honorary life member.
6. PM Narendra Modi, Russian President Putin and Tamil Nadu chief minister Jayalalitha, through video conferencing inaugurated the unit-1 of the Kudankulam nuclear power plant in Tamil Nadu. The project is a fine example of special and privileged Indo-Russian strategic partnership. An agreement for the construction of the plant was reached in 1988 between India and then Soviet Union. It took long 28 years for its materialization due to several hurdles which at long last were cleared and the first unit of the project got critical in the second week of August 2016.
7. SAARC Home minister’s conference was held in Islamabad, Pakistan on August 4, 2016. India was represented by Home Minister Rajnath Singh. Mr. Singh castigated, the attempts to distinguish between good and bad terrorists. There is no justification to support terrorism in any way. Indian home minister referred to several SAARC conventions which needed to be honoured and implemented. These conventions are related to terrorism, mutual assistant in criminal matters, drug trafficking and women and child trafficking.
8. China’s biggest high speed train and railway equipment maker announced that its first joint venture in India has started operations over the weekend in Haryana, in an indication that Sino-India cooperation in the railways sector was poised to take off. The Sino-India joint venture, expected to manufacture and repair locomotive engines, is being called the CRRC Pioneer (India) Electric Company and has been set up in the Bavo Induatrial sector in Haryana, on the New Delhi and Mumbai industrial corridor.
9. The two days meeting of the BRICS Women Parliamentarians Forum was held in Jaipur on August 20-21, 2016. The conference was attended by 42 delegates from member countries. The Loksabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan inaugurated the conference which had different plenary sessions. Among the total of 42 delegates participating in the conference were five women parliamentarians from Brazil, 3 from Russia, 28 from India, 2 from China and 4 from South Africa.
10. Andhra Pradesh government on August 20,2016 launched a DNA Index System, the first of its kind initiative, allowing generation of DNA profiles from live samples like saliva and blood stains within 90 to 120 minutes. The latest DNA technology tool developed by integen X, Inc USA will be used in this DNA Index system.
1. Switzerland with 66.28 points out of 100 topped the 2016 Global Innovation Index released on August 15, 2016 jointly by the Cornell University, the multi nation bussiness school Insead and the UN World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO). ‘Winning with Global Innovation’ was the theme of this year’s GII. Sweden and United Kingdom finished second and third respectively in the 2016 GII.
2. Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist Center) Chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal ‘Prachanda’ was on August 3, 2016 elected as the 39th Prime minister of Nepal. Mr Prachanda secured 363 votes in his support while 210 lawmakers voted against him in the Parliament of 595 members in which 573 member cast higher votes. Itis the second term of Mr. Prachanda as Prime Minister of Nepal as he was PM from 2008 to 2009.
3. National Current Affairs for September 2016 launched the world’s first quantum-enabled satellite named ‘Micius’ from the Jiuquan Satellite Launched Centre in Northwest China. The 600 kg satellite is named after an ancient Chinese philosopher. This satellite aims at harnessing the power of particle physics to build an ‘unhackable’ encrypted communication system.
4. ‘Vinicius’ a Brazilian wildlife animal was the mascot of the 31st Olympic Games which was organized in Rio de Janerio in August 5-21, 2016. Rio became the first South American City to host the Olympic Games. The 32nd Olympic Games are scheduled to be organized in Tokyo, Japan in 2020.
5. Cristiano Ronaldo, the skipper of the Euro Cup 2016 winning Portugal team, was bestowed with the UEFA Best Player in Europe award for 2015-16 at a ceremony in Monaco on August 25, 2016. He beat Gareth Bale of Wales and Antoine Griezmann from France in a vote, by journalists from 55 member countries of UEFA.
6. North Korea fired a ballistic missile directly into Japanese-controlled waters for the first time on August 3, 2016, drawing an outraged response from Tokyo and ramping up tensions with the United States and South Korea. The US ministary said that the North had actually Launched two Rodong intermediate range missiles, but one appeared to have one exploded on take-off.
7. Sellapan Ramanathan, Singapore’s Indian-origin President from 1999 to 2011, passed away on August 23, 2016. He was 92. He held the top position in civil service and was appointed high commissioner to Malaysia in 1988. From 1990 to 1996, Ramanathan served as Singapore’s ambassador to the United States.
8. US has approved the possible sale of up to 153 tanks, hundreds of machine guns and various other military gear to Saudi Arabia in a deal worth $1.15 billions, the pentagon said. The Defence Security Cooperation Agency on August 09, 2016 said Riyadh had requested the possible purchase of up to 133 American M1A1/A2 Abrams tanks that would be configured to Saudi needs, plus another 20 to replace damaged tanks in their fleet.
9. Iran has deployed the Russian-supplied S-300 surface-to-air missile defence system around its Fordow underground uranium enrichment facility Iranian state media reported on August 29, 2016. Ïran and six major powers reached a landmark nuclear deal in 2015 aimed at curbing Iran’s nuclear programme in exchange for lifting nuclear-related sanctions imposed on Tehran over its disputed nuclear work. Enrichment of Uranium at the Fordow facility, around 100 km south of Tehran, has stopped since the implementaion of the nuclear deal in January.
10. A US Navy guided missile destroyer arrived in the northern Chinese port of Qingdao on August 8, 2016 in the first visit by an American warship to the country since Beijing responded angrily to an arbitration panel’s ruling that it’s expansive South China Sea maritime claims had no basis in law. Arriving in the home port of China’s northern fleet, the USS Benfold held a signals exercise with the Chinese Navy.
Help us to improve this article/job posting "Current Affairs : September 2016". We would be glad if you can comment below and provide your valuable suggestions and feedback. If this page have any wrong information/list or out of context content, then you can report us as well.
If you have any questions, you can also ask as in the following comments section. Our team will try to provide answers/solutions to all your Why, Who, Where, When, What, How and other related questions of Current Affairs : September 2016