Career in Photography
Published Date : 08 Jan 2015User Comments : No Comments - Ask a Question
Photography is the process of capturing images with a camera. These images can be of just about anything, including people, nature, places, buildings, animals, objects, or events. A professional photographer is an expert to bring about certain moods and expressions in their captured pictures. These photographs can bring on feelings of happiness, grief, fear, awe, nostalgia, beauty or even hunger. This can be done by utilizing different lighting techniques, or positioning the subject in a certain way that it brings out certain likeness which is agreeable to the photographer.
Fields of Expertise in Photography
- Photographers often choose to focus their career in a certain field of photography. Some photographers feel comfortable shooting portrait pictures of people and their facial expression.
- Glamour and fashion photographers take pictures of models and their clothes to build career and brand value of their subjects .
- Still life photography, on the other hand, involves taking pictures of still, objects. This can include such things as scenery or architecture.
- Photojournalism involves shooting pictures of events that comes under the domain of mass communication. These types of photographers are referred to as photojournalists.
There are also other specialized wings of photography that includes science, nature, underwater, wedding photography, abstract and advertising photography.
Photographers are paid a certain amount of money for each picture they click according to the requirements of their perceived subject or employer. Some photographers are paid at an hourly rate. Salaries for photographers vary greatly, depending on a number of factors, including experience, talent and fame. Since the range varies from nothing to almost everything hence it’s essentially career for only those who are passionate about.
Popular Photography Schools and Programs
Since educational programs related to photography varies from college to college. Here is a list of top 10 college and the program they offer along with the eligibility criteria :
- Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi : The University offers 1 year PG Diploma in Still Photography and Visual Communication. There are 20 seats available for the course, and one should be at least a graduate to gain admission. Admissions are made on the basis of an Entrance test, Personal Interview, Group Discussion and an Internal Entrance Test.
- Osmania University, Hyderabad : The University offers a 3 year Bachelor’s degree course in Fine Arts (Photography). One should have passed ones 10+2 exam before applying for the course. Admissions are made on the basis of an Entrance test, personal interview, group discussion and an internal entrance test.
- Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur, UP : The university offers a regular Diploma course in Film & Television photography. One can apply for the course after completing ones 10+2. Admissions are made on the basis of marks in the 10+2 exam, or any equivalent qualifying exam.
- Asian Academy of Film and Television, Noida : The institute offers a 3 months regular certificate course in Still Photography and Journalism. Any student who has passed his 10+2 exam can apply for the course. Admissions are made on the basis of your marks in the 10+2 or any equivalent qualifying exam.
- A.J. Kidwai Mass Communication Research Center, Delhi : This is a private college affiliated to the Jamia Millia Islamia University. It offers a 1 year PG Diploma course in Still Photography. One should be a graduate with minimum required percentage of marks. Admissions are made on the basis of an entrance test, personal interview, group discussion and an internal entrance test. There are 20 seats in total allotted for the program.
- Netaji Subhash Open University, Kolkata : It is a Private Deemed University offering 2 year Regular Diploma course in Basic Photography, Advanced Photography. One should have passed 10+2 exam before applying for the exam. Admissions are made on the basis of your marks in the 10+2 or any equivalent qualifying exam.
- Tolani College of Arts & Science, Adipur, Gujarat : The college offers a 1 year regular Diploma course in Photography and Videography. The college also offers a 1 year Regular Certificate course in Photography and Videography. Eligibility for diploma course is 10th class, and for certificate course is 10+2. Admissions are made on the basis of marks in the qualifying exam.
- The Indian Institute of Digital Art and Animation, Kolkata : Affiliated to the GulbargaUniversity, the institute offers a 3-year B.Sc. program in Photography and Cinematography. The institute also offers a 2-year M.Sc. program in Photography and Cinematography. Total seats for both B.Sc. and M.Sc. program are 40 each.
- Center for Research in Art of Film & Television (CRAFT), Delhi : The institute offers a 1-year PG Diploma Course in Mass communication, with specialization in Fashion Photography and Videography. One should be a graduate to pursue this course.
- New York Film Academy, Greater Noida : The academy offers 1-year Diploma course in Digital photography. One should have passed 10+2 exam before applying for the course.
Career Opportunities as Photographer
A professional degree photographer will often have a much better chance of landing good paying jobs. Photographers are employed at photography studios, newspapers, magazines, advertising agencies, and website design agencies.
Photographers can choose to work as a freelancer as well enjoying freedom and self employment. They get to pick and choose which jobs they accept. Some may prefer to shoot photographs at events, while others sell photographs to magazines and blogs.